1910

With the Trustees' approval, President Lovett hires Boston architects Cram, Goodhue and Ferguson to prepare a campus plan and design the early buildings. In 1910 the firm sends William Ward Watkin (1886-1952), a recent graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, to Houston to oversee construction. Watkin settles in Houston, establishes a flourishing architectural practice and chairs the Institute architecture department (1912-1952). He oversees Rice's early buildings and designs Cohen House (1927), Rice Stadium (1938), the Naval ROTC Building (1941) and several important civic and residential projects during his 42-year career.

  •  
  •  
  • 1
  • 2
open window
background