[November 4]
1949

On November 4, during the homecoming celebrations, trustees dedicate Fondren Library, named to honor Walter W. Fondren and funded with a $1 million gift from his wife Ella Cochrum Fondren and their children Sue Fondren Trammell, W. W. Fondren Jr. and Catherine Fondren Underwood. Architects Staub & Rather in consultation with William Ward Watkin design the structure, which includes relief plaques that depict the development of writing by Beaumont, Texas, sculptor Herring Coe. Fondren Library is the only air conditioned building on campus.

 

Library card catalog
open window
background