1947

M.D. Anderson Hall inaugurates Rice's post-World War II construction program. Housing classrooms and the School of Architecture, the building is named for cotton exporter Monroe D. Anderson, whose foundation helped Rice buy Rincon Oil Field. Architects Staub & Rather design the building, in consultation with Architecture School Chairman William Ward Watkin. J.T. Rather Jr. is the 1st Rice architecture alumnus to design a building for the Rice campus. John Staub was a student of Ralph Adams Cram, the design architect for the original Rice campus buildings.

  •  
  •  
  • 1
  • 2
open window
background