Founder's Memorial, quickly christened Willy's Statue by students, becomes the centerpiece of the Academic Quad. The monument, designed by Ralph Adams Cram and executed by William Ward Watkin, houses the ashes of university founder William Marsh Rice in its base. President Lovett and the Trustees commission British-born sculptor John Angel to craft the bronze statue. Cram, Benjamin Botts Rice and Edgar Odell Lovett unveil the statue on Sunday June 8, 1930, before Baccalaureate Services. Cram explains the sculptor's purpose at the dedication and speaks at Commencement the following day.