1910

Construction of the original buildings begins in 1910, but Charles F. Weber, owner of an 8-acre farm that abuts the site of the Administration Building (now Lovett Hall) holds out. He finally takes more than $7,000 per acre and demands that he be allowed to stay on the land for over 3 years. The stubborn but wily farmer moves his pigs, fence and farm implements off the property only days before the Opening Ceremonies in October 1912.

 

Early construction site; mules preparing land for first buildings, ca. 1910.
Rice University, Woodson Center
open window
background