1921

The Episcopal Diocese of Texas builds Autry House as a permanent structure to replace the temporary buildings incorporated as Emmanuel Community House (1919). Autry House becomes Rice's cultural, religious and recreational student center. Among its offerings are hot lunches, a barber shop, bridge games, films and dances. At the time Autry House opens, female students are not allowed to remain on campus after dark, so they particularly welcome having a place to socialize and study.

 

Autry House, 1921
open window
background