Rice trustees authorize a formal Continuing Studies Program in December. The program's mandate - to bridge the gap between the university and the citizens of Houston by offering useful continuing education of an academic caliber befitting Rice University - fulfills founding President Edgar Odell Lovett's vision.
In his inaugural address, Lovett promised to sustain contact between the Institute and the community. In the 1912-1913 academic year, he launched a public lecture series that introduced his most popular professors to enthusiastic audiences. For decades Houstonians supported hundreds of lectures on campus.
In the summer of 1968 Continuing Studies offers its inaugural course - on the low-temperature processing of petroleum products. Thomas W. Leland from Rice's Department of Chemical Engineering coordinates 2 Rice instructors and 2 visiting lecturers.
Renamed the Susanne M. Glasscock School of Continuing Studies in 2005 to honor Rice graduates Susanne and Melbern Glasscock, the program now offers a Master of Liberal Studies degree designed for adults and introduces nearly 13,000 enrollees each year to hundreds of courses. Plans are currently underway to fund and construct a new headquarters building.