1958

The Rice Memorial Center (RMC) and Rice Chapel open. Architect Harvin C. Moore '27 designs both buildings, and trustee J. Newton Rayzor '17 and his wife fund the project. The well in the cloister of Rome's Early Christian Basilica of St. John Lateran influences Moore's design for the chapel, which is dedicated on February 8, 1959. 

The RMC cornerstone reads: a "memorial of the students of Rice who have brought honor to the Institute through their contribution to the welfare of mankind and of those who have given their lives to the saving of our country."

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4

Rice Memorial Center groundbreaking
open window
background