[September 1]
1958

The Keith-Wiess Geological Laboratory, designed by George and Abel B. Pierce, is completed after Elizabeth Wiess Smith, Caroline Wiess Law and Margaret Wiess Elkins make a gift to honor their parents Olga Keith Wiess and Harry C. Wiess. Mr. Wiess was a trustee of the Rice Institute (1944-1948). The laboratory, which is part of the "Court of Science" quadrangle, reflects the style of architecture popular in Texas in the 1950s.

  •  
  •  
  • 1
  • 2
open window
background