left bracket
decade graphic
GROWTH & SHAPING TRADITIONS
right bracket

Student enrollment grows steadily in the 1920s, topping 1,000 in 1923 and reaching 1,300 in 1926. To ease overcrowding, the Trustees fund the Chemistry Building and the Field House, and President Lovett limits the freshman class size. Lovett retains his outstanding initial faculty and recruits new members to accomodate the growing student body and expanded academic program. Rice professors make important contributions to Houston's cultural and civic institutions, including the Museum of Fine Arts, the Houston Symphony, the City Planning Commission and the municipal Social Service Bureau.

Students adopt "Rice's Honor" as the school song and initiate May Fête, the Archi-Arts Ball, the Engineering Show and the Rally Club during the 1920s. President Lovett's intellectual ambitions for Rice receive a boost with the installation of a Phi Beta Kappa chapter in 1929.

 
open window
background